Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Troy's Mashed Potatoes



Troy is my brother-in-law. And many moons ago we went to their house and had steak and potatoes. Or something and potatoes. The truth is I don't remember too much except the potatoes. Because they were awesome. I later tried to get a recipe out of him. It was one of those, "Oh a little of this and a little of that" sort of things. Or in this case "a lot of this and a lot of that." 'This' and 'that' being butter and sour cream. But we'll get to that in a minute.

The best mashed potatoes are made with a red or yukon gold potato--or any variety that is moist. Oh, sure, they'll still be great with russets or some other variety, but they'll be a little grainier and we like our mashed potatoes smooth. Like butter. We seem, in fact, to think that they are in the same food group. Hmmm.

Which brings me to the fact that I must confess that I consider these sort of special occasion potatoes. Why? Because they're one of those foods that utilizes large amounts of certain ingredients that make some Americans uncomfortable. And while I admit that fresh vegetables certainly do make some Americans uncomfortable, I wasn't talking about the potatoes.

Below is my re-creation of Troy's potatoes. I think I've done pretty well, although in mashed potatoes, Troy is still king.

Troy's Mashed Potatoes

These create a delicious, but basic mashed potato. Want to mix in green onions, garnish with chives, throw on some bacon, knock yourself out.

5 lb red or yukon gold potatoes
1 C (2 sticks) butter
1 C sour cream
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Peel, chop, and boil potatoes until tender. Drain and mash. Add butter and sour cream. Try to tell yourself you're not adding that much butter and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I'm planning to post my sister Katie's roll recipe tonight. (What's that you say, I'm a free-loading recipe stealer? Right you are, my friend, right you are. So watch your back, okay?)

PRINTABLE RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...