Friday, December 24, 2010

Non-alcoholic Eggnog

Cheap Eat Challenge Count Down: 8 days



We're a bunch of teetolarers here. Which means I grew up drinking eggnog for breakfast on Christmas morning. It was awesome.

If you've only ever tried the eggnog they sell in cartons at the store, you may think it is the Grinch's boogers. As well it may be. The store bought stuff is super nasty. Beyond nasty. I don't know what they do to it. It must be due to some anti-eggnog lobbyists or something. But homemade, it's like holiday ice cream in a mug. 

In the years since my childhood, I've worried a bit about the raw eggs, which considering how much raw cookie dough I've eaten these last weeks without even a thought, seems a little ironic.

Nevertheless, tonight after my first glass (teetotalers like drinking their non-alcoholic drinks out of glasses for alcohol--don't ask; maybe it makes us feel rebellious), my sister wondered aloud what would happen if we heated and then chilled the drink to cook the eggs. So we did. It's a bit more effort (and time), but I'll be darned if it didn't work.

And if you've got a little ice cream maker, I think it'd be pretty awesome if you threw the eggnog in and froze it. Possibly beyond awesome.

Non-Alcoholic Eggnog
Serves 2

3 eggs
2 C milk
1/4 C sugar (I added an extra couple tablespoons, because we go for a different kind of buzz around here)
1-2 Tbsp cream (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla
nutmeg for garnish

Combine all ingredients except nutmeg in blender and blend.

If you're the bold, devil-may-care sort, you can just sprinkle it with nutmeg and drink it like that.

If you're a more cautious type, heat this in a saucepan just until it reads 160 on an instant read thermometer. If you go much over 160, it may start thickening or get really funky, so I really really recommend a thermometer.

When it hits 160 take it off the heat and chill it. You might want to give it another spin in the blender to get it frothy again.

Sprinkle with nutmeg (do not skip that part) and enjoy.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...