Monday, February 21, 2011

Blender Waffles

Cheap Eat Challenge: Watch or join us as our family of 6 learns to eat on $6/day.



I know plenty of people consider waffles a breakfast food. I won't argue with that. I will simply say that in this family waffles are eaten for dinner. Because someone is too lazy to stand by the waffle iron for 20 minutes in the morning. And yet waffles are the perfect lazy woman dinner because they only take 20 minutes. That's right--that's how things are run 'round here.

These waffles are not typical. They contain cottage cheese and a booty load of eggs. Because of this they are quite high in protein,which is nice. They also taste almost like crepes in waffle form. And in my opinion that is a good thing, a very good thing. And like crepes, they are very good with any of a number of toppings: syrups, fruit sauces, whipped cream and bananas, jam, Nutella (oh mama), or whatever you have on hand.

The other life-changing thing about these waffles is that they are made in the blender. That means they take all of 2 minutes to prepare (that's right; no egg white whipping necessary). Perhaps more even that their crepe like deliciousness, this quality has endeared them to me forever. I love you cottage cheese blender waffles. And since I'm saying that I need to give a special thank you to my friend, Pilar, from whom these come. Thanks Pilar!

I have not yet tried them with whole wheat flour. I love them so much as is that I've been afraid to. If you do, please let me know how they turn out.

Blender Waffles
Serves: Our family of 6
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes (depending on how large your waffle iron is; mine is unfortunately small, so it takes longer)
Cost: $1.15
(cottage cheese: .50, flour: .05, milk: .05, eggs: .50, oil: .05)

Note: These can be kept warm on a cookie sheet in the oven (set at 200 degrees) if you want to serve your whole family at once instead of flipping them onto plates as they're ready, diner style.

1 C cottage cheese
2/3 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C milk
6 large eggs
1/3 C oil
1/2 tsp vanilla

Throw it all in a blender and blend until combined and smooth.

Cook in lightly greased waffle iron.

If desired keep warm in oven as noted above.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

2 comments:

  1. these waffles are delicious! we just had them tonight -- light and fluffy, I really love them! But... I think that you need to double the recipe to feed six :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can 1 1/2 it, but then our blender is stuff stuffed. But you're right, the more the better.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...