Thursday, February 24, 2011

Skillet Lasagna

Cheap Eat Challenge: Watch or join us as our family of 6 learns to eat on $6/day.


First of all, let me announce that--tada--I have finally (being the technological genius that I am) figured out how to make a printable version of these recipes, so should you wish to print one, just click on PRINTABLE RECIPE at the bottom of the recipe and then when it takes you to the recipe, click on the little printer icon in the top right.

Now, on to today's recipe. It's easy. It's good. It's fast. It's adaptable. It uses one pan. I think that that's enough said.

Skillet Lasagna
Adapted from
Betty Crocker's Quick and Easy Cookbook
Serves 6
Prep/cook time: 20 minutes
Cost: $5.00 (Our meal was considerably less since we used less meat, our sauce was home-canned from garden vegetables, and we skipped the other vegetables because, frankly, I forgot them.)
(1/2 lb meat: $1.50, vegetables: 1.00, pasta: .50, sauce: 1.00, cheese: 1.00)

Note on vegetables: You get to pick; isn't that fun. You can use peppers, mushrooms, olives, carrots, romas, spinach, whatever you wish. (If you use romas or spinach or something else soft, add it near the end of the cooking time, rather than at the beginning when instructed below.)

Note on pasta: I use radiatore or or bowtie pasta. The original recipe called for mafalda, which is supposedly mini-lasagna, but I've never ever seen it in a store. At any rate, the pasta needs to be a little thick-ish and/or ridge-y soas to absorb the water and create a nice al dente noodle.

1 lb Italian sausage or ground beef (I used much much less--about 1/4 lb)
2 C vegetables that you like (some suggestions: peppers, mushrooms, olives, carrots, celery, romas, spinach)
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 C) (or, if you're us, some onion powder--have I mentioned picky people live here)
3 C uncooked pasta
2 1/2 C water
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (I use oregano, basil, and sometimes rosemary or marjoram)
26-30 oz pasta sauce
1 C mozzarella cheese

Cook meat and vegetables in 12-inch skillet until meat is not longer pink. Drain fat if there's a lot.

Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simme uncovered for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.

Sprinkle with cheese and allow cheese to melt.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

3 comments:

  1. Do your kids eat this? Mine would scream, "IT'S TOO SAUCEY!!" And Elijah would complain that there were vegetables in the sauce, lol. And Hannah would complain that there was sauce, period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, like I said, I forgot the extra vegetables--they would not have been popular. But my kids actually love love love sauce as long as it does not contain 'chunkies'--chunkies being anything at all containing any kind of texture. Sigh. So we eat very smooth tomato sauces (motto: if it looks like ketchup it must be okay). I must confess, too, that I made our sausages into tiny meatballs so they could be easily picked out by Mark since he doesn't like meat. Also, maybe you can't tell from the picture, but only half of our skillet is covered in cheese. Wow--have I failed with getting my kids to eat normally or what. Writing it out here really brings it home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and one final comment on sauciness--it's usually a little less saucy. I think since I forgot the vegetables and reduced the meat in ours that it was saucier than normal without that stuff to suck it up. If I made it again with less meat and no vegetables, I'd probably add another 1/4 C dry pasta to the mix to absorb more of the liquid, but like I say, my kids don't mind the sauce, just everything else.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...