Monday, August 29, 2011

Dark Chocolate Brownies

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on less than $10/day.


My love of brownies began with the love of the man who would become my husband. New lovers (I say that to be poetic; we were more in the people-who-are-kind-of-starting-to-like-each-other stage) are always introducing each other to new things. Lucky for me, Kip's thing was chocolate--real chocolate in really good chocolate ways.

I've already shared Kip's brownies. Below you get an equally good brownie with even more chocolate. Hold me.

Note: I published this originally as a guest blogger on somethingswanky.com.

Dark Chocolate Brownies
adapted very slightly from smittenkitchen
makes 8x8 inch pan
Prep time: 7 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

10 Tbsp butter
1 1/4 C sugar (I thought this could lose the 1/4 C)
3/4 C plus 2 Tbsp cocoa
1/4 tsp salt (if using unsalted butter)
1/2 pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 C all-purpose flour

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine butter (in chunks), sugar, cocoa, and salt if using. Microwave it in 20-second intervals until it's quite warm, but won't burn your finger. It'll be plenty grainy still, so don't worry.

Add vanilla extract. Whisk in eggs. (If you've accidentally gotten your batter crazy hot, give it a few minutes to cool down before adding the eggs.) Stir until well-blended, smooth, and shiny. Add the flour and mix it with a wooden spoon for a minute or so.

Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.

Note: The brownies pictured above were a bit hastily cut. We wanted them, like, immediately, and didn't mind an, er, rustic look with the ragged edges. However, if you want a clean cut, put them in the refrigerator or freezer and cut the brownie cold. They'll be prettier, but you'll have to wait for it.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

2 comments:

  1. I needed a brownie fix last night and could not decide between these and the "Kip's brownies" recipe. I ultimately decided on this one because it made a smaller pan and would force me to have a little more self control. They are absolutely incredible! Such a great, rich, dark chocolate cake and a wonderful texture. Easily one of the best homemade brownie recipes I've ever made, definitely a keeper! Thanks! Still looking for that self control though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are awesome aren't they. And so easy. I love that you chose them for the smaller pan.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...