Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Roasted Tomatoes: Soup

Cheap Eat Challenge, Part 2: Watch as our family of 6 eats on $10/day.



Okay, remember the roast tomatoes from yesterday--the ones used to make a really great spaghetti sauce? Well, keep thinking about them. Because I still had a ton of tomatoes. So I decided to make homemade tomato soup. This has been on my list of things to do for a very long time.

A friend mentioned this Roasted Tomato Soup from 101 Cookbooks. I made it. It was really great. But I couldn't help noticing that it started out a whole lot like the pasta sauce--tomatoes, garlic, and onion tossed in olive oil and roasted for a nice long time. The difference is that after you puree the vegetables, you add water or broth (maybe with a glug of cream, I mean, um, cough, skim milk) until it's the consistency you want it.

And so I propose "Roasted Tomatoes: Three Ways":

1. Roast them and eat them simply with chicken or rice or pasta.
2. Roast them and make them into pasta sauce by pureeing them and adding basil, oregano, a bit of sugar, a bit of vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Roast them and make them into soup by adding broth or water (and/or cream/milk) until it's the consistency you like, then adding salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle on some homemade pesto if you're in the mood for tomato nirvana.

As for me, I've taken to roasting my extra loads of tomatoes, pureeing them, and freezing them. Yes, it does make the house kind of hot if you do a few batches, but it doesn't make the house any hotter than canning would. And come winter, you little ants you, you'll pull those tomatoes out and the grasshoppers will come calling. Unless the grasshoppers are my kids, in which case they'll demand that you open a can of something in order to classify your tomato product as food. Which is fine with me because I can totally eat it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...