Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Leftover Tuesday: Butternut-Carrot-Coconut Soup


Today's an itchy-to-be-outside kind of a day. Bright, sunny, chilly. That's how this soup sort of strikes me: bright, warm, but not too heavy.

Our players this week were 2 carrots whose ends were getting a little sketchy, some leftover cooked butternut squash (and it wasn't a great squash--a little bland and old tasting), 1/4 of an onion, and about 1/2 can coconut milk (which I forgot to photograph because I'm like that). 




To that I added a bit of butter, curry, cumin, pepper, and a bit of chicken broth. 

Here's what I did:

1. Melt butter in a pot. Add diced onion and diced carrots and cook for about 5 minutes. 
2. Add spices and cook 30 seconds or so until fragrant. 
3. Add butternut, coconut milk. Cook until nice and thick. 
4. Add 1 C chicken broth. If you need more, add it. Cook until all vegetables are tender. 
5. Puree until smooth (If putting in a blender, use a hot pad on top so it doesn't spray out.)

That's it. It was done. It was easy. I did find myself upping the spices at the end and wishing I'd had a bigger chunk of onion. Also, it didn't taste as coconut-y as I thought/hoped it would. Nevertheless, a perfectly decent meal made from things that hadn't been too stunning on their own. One of the many things I love about leftover Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...