Friday, April 20, 2012

Smoked Paprika Fry Sauce

(it's not quite this pink; I don't know how people take pictures of things in the red family)

In The Netherlands, they serve their fries with mayonnaise. Don't ask me why--maybe the mayonnaise there is different--but it's so so amazing on fries. I still like some good home fries with mayo. 

In Utah, they serve their fries with "fry sauce," which is basically ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together into an admittedly amazing condimental concoction. 

Here in this house, we serve our fries with--well, we serve them with ketchup most of the time because some of the inhabitants of this house would snort ketchup straight into their blood streams if they could figure out how. But--please prepare for a gasp-worthy confession--ketchup gets kind of boring to me. I can't even feel all self-righteous and diss on it for its high fructose corn syrup levels or sodium or any other of its less than virtuous health qualities. It's not even that I don't like it. I do, really. It allowed me to eat eggs for years as a child when I otherwise would have just gagged them onto the floor. It's just that I, well I just...I just sometimes need a little change. Please don't tell Kip. He might leave me for the ketchup lady at McDonald's or something.  

Lately this has been my own little addiction. I don't even know why. It's just got a little undertone of tang with a little undertone of garlic and smokiness. The flavors are all subtle and just fit really nicely together. And, what can I say, I've fallen for it. The first time I tried it, I was like, "Hmmm, good." But I didn't think it would keep calling to me like it did. But then the next day I found myself wanting to make something potato just to be able to use it again and then the day after that I was scooping fry fulls of it into my mouth and slathering it on my meat as well. Right now as I write this I'm dreaming of these home fries all drizzled in this sauce and salivating as I type. And--could someone please tell me that's normal, because there's only so much you can do before you have to accept that you have a problem. 

Paprika Fry Sauce
adapted from Everyday Food
Makes a little over 1/4 C
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cost: $.15
mayo: .10, other stuff: .05

Note: Smoked paprika is my new BFF. It is nothing like it's ho-hum cousin. Well, it is that gorgeous color of red still, but it's got the personality to match its looks. I've been hearing about it forever and finally tried it. If you feel a little intimidated and don't know where to find it, don't worry--McCormick makes a version and theirs is pretty good. 

1/4 C mayonnaise
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 tsp smoked paprika

Combine all ingredients. 

Note: This is good the first day, but better after the flavors have melded for a day (or probably even just a few hours). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...