Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling


You have no idea how beautiful this cake is. My pictures could not even begin to do it justice (btw, could somebody tell me how to take a decent picture of red things).

(What? Professional photographers/food bloggers don't lick up their chocolate drippings? Fine, whatever.)

Usually I'm not one to go for the chocolate fruit combinations. I don't really care for the chocolate oranges at Christmastime or the Lindt chocolates with the raspberry/orange/whatever fillings. And those chocolate fountains meant to go with a plate full of strawberries. You may call me uncouth, but they're just not my thing (whatever; you can't call me uncouth; they have those things at Golden Corral now).

Nevertheless after my sister-in-law's testimonial about the amazingness of this cake, I decided to give it a try. It's a chocolate cake with a raspberry filling, which is then surrounded with chocolate ganache and then topped with more raspberry filling.

It was very good, even for those of us who don't love chocolate fruit combinations. Even for those of use who don't love cakes frosted with ganache. If you really can't bear the thought of mixing your five a day with your chocolate fix, know this: This recipe is worth your while if for nothing other than the amazing raspberry sauce. Seriously, so good. I actually think it would be even more butt kickingly good on this cake (or, uh, your morning yogurt).

Chocolate Raspberry Cake
adapted from Cupcakes by Elinor Klivans
Makes 18 cupcakes, 2 8-inch round cakes or 2 thin 9-inch round cakes
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes

Note: I melt the butter because I believe it makes cakes moister. I don't know why, but I have great success with it. I highly recommend it.

3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted completely--if using salted, omit salt above
1 1/4 C sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 C water
1 C chocolate chips (optional; I didn't use these, but Kip's sister says it's an incredible addition)

Melt chocolate. I do this in a microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring at each interval. Stir until melted and smooth.

Sift dry ingredients and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until smoothly blended and creamy, at least 2 minutes. On low speed, mix in melted chocolate. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until well blended. Add vanilla and beat until mixture looks creamy and the color has lightened slightly--a minute or two. Mix in sour cream until no white streaks remain. Add half the flour mixture and mix. Add water. Add remaining flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove with fork or cake tester comes out with a few moist crumbs.

Remove cakes from pans after 10 minutes (I line my pans with wax paper and grease them well). Let cool.

Raspberry Filling
from Food

3 C raspberries
2 Tbsp cornstarch
4 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 C sugar

Mix together and gradually bring to a boil, stirring until thickened.

Let cool completely before using on cake.

Milk Ganache

1 1/3 C chocolate chips
2/3 C milk

Combine in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Mix. Microwave for 30 more and mix. Repeat until smooth. This should be thick but spreadable and thin enough to spread, but not so thin it will all drip off your cake. If it needs a little more milk, add it. I have a confession here. I measured out my ingredients for this and then forgot to write them down (because I enjoy self torture.) I think these are the measurements, but cannot guarantee it and I am not willing to go make a batch to see because then I will eat the batch and that will make me sad.

To Assemble:

Put 1/2 of the raspberry filling between your cake layers.

Cover cake with ganache. [Note: If I made this cake again, I'd put a thin layer of Kip's fudge frosting on it before I covered it with ganache.] Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to let it set. Then add the rest of the raspberry filling to the top of the cake. Pretty huh?

PRINTABLE RECIPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...