Monday, August 13, 2012

Broccoli Salad (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)




It's another Secret Recipe Club post.

This month I got Angela's Kitchen, which features gluten-free and dairy-free cooking. I myself could probably gnaw on gluten all day, but I have a friend with Celiac's, which means I do have an appreciation of the challenge of finding gluten-free foods and the joy in finding ones that taste good. Angela's blog is packed. Also, she does all kinds of cool things, like educated restaurants about gluten-free/dairy-free options for their menus.

I went for something veggie-based because I was nervous about unusual types of flour and also because I love broccoli salad and have been meaning to get one up on this blog, oh, forever. Some of you may know that raw broccoli just isn't my thing. Oh, sure, I can get it down, but it's not love. Broccoli salad, however, I adore. (I guess that's what happens when you add some fat and sugar to your unloved veggies; I didn't say this salad was an act of strong moral character, okay. I only said it tasted good.)

Broccoli Salad
adapted from Angela's Kitchen
makes 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cost: $3.00
broccoli: 1.50, raisins: .25, walnuts: .50, bacon: .50, other stuff: .25)

Note on nuts: Angela uses sunflower seeds, but I didn't have enough; The sunflower seeds would be perfect for a nut-free salad, but if nuts aren't an issue I bet you could sub a variety of different nuts in this salad

5 C broccoli florets
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C walnuts
1/3-1/2 C cooked, crumbled bacon
2 Tbsp finely minced red onion (since Kip hates onions, I left this in a separate bowl to be added according to taste (And, yes, he is obscenely spoiled.))
3/4 C mayo (you're going to need gluten-free and dairy-free if that's what you need)
1-2 Tbsp cider vinegar (I've also used balsalmic to good effect and I'm betting lemon juice would kick butt too)
2-4 Tbsp sugar (original recipe called for 4, but I scaled it back to 3 and maybe could have scaled it back a bit more)

Cook your bacon. While it's cooking, make your dressing. Combine mayo, vinegar, and sugar. Whisk. I recommend starting with 1 Tbsp vinegar and 2 Tbsp sugar and then having a taste and adjusting it according to your needs for sweet and sour.

Cut your broccoli into bite sized (or smaller) pieces. Crumble bacon and add it. Add nuts and raisins.

Drizzle dressing on and then add salt and pepper to taste (I found I liked it without either).

Chill and then eat eat eat.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


6 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanie,
    I just love this Broccoli Salad, it looks delicious. A great choice for the SRC, hope you are having a great day.
    Miz Helen
    Group B SRC

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to eat broccoli, especially in this hot weather.I love the walnuts and raisins in this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of balsamic vinegar in there. Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love broccoli salad too and am making it this weekend for a picnic. YUM. I'm a SRC group D blogger...great choice in recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love broccoli salads and yours looks excellent. Ours also has cranberries in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this and it was super delish! I subbed cranberries for the raisins, and only used 2 Tbsp of sugar. It is so great; I can't wait to make it again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...