Friday, February 8, 2013

Cilantro Spinach Pesto



I really love classic pesto. I don't often mess around with it. But last night when we had this delicious pork, I had shredded some cilantro onto it, but felt like it really needed something a little saucier to go with. And then the neurons connected in my brain and I made this. Only I didn't have enough cilantro for it to actually blend even in my mini blender. I needed more greens. Blending that cup of spinach into it with more olive oil, I was sure I'd messed it up, but it came out delicious, cilantro-y, and with a bit of nutritional punch. I did not complain.

Cilantro Spinach Pesto
Makes, um, a half cup or so
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cost: $1.10
cilantro: .25, spinach: .30, olive oil: .30, pine nuts: .25

1 C cilantro leaves
1 C spinach leaves
1/3 C olive oil
2 Tbsp pine nuts
1 clove garlic

Blend in small blender or some type of mini food processor. Serve with pork, chicken, rice, or beans.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. Where do you get your pine nuts? My pine nuts cost about 9 dollars which I find unacceptable to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justin,
      This time I got a wee bag from Walmart and, yes, they were expensive (about $3 for the little bag). Last year, I couldn't even find them that cheap. Instead of pine nuts I subbed some sunflower seeds into my normal pesto. It was delicious (and also a good option for people who need a nut free option). The sunflower seeds are not as good as the pine nuts, but still pretty darn good.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...