Saturday, August 31, 2013

Basil Butter Corn


This is simple, yet amazing. A-ma-zing. Also, it's a great use for ugly or imperfect corn. Would that we could all wind up with perfect, sweet, non-chewy corn from the farmer's market or, well, Aldi. But if not...I've got your back. The first time we made this, it was with some terrible corn that Kip wanted to throw away. This redeemed it considerably. And then when I made it again with good corn--oh my. It was incredible. I could eat it every day of my life.

Corn with Butter and Basil
Adapted from Cookaholic Wife
Serves 4
Prep and cook time: 10 minutes
Cost: $1.75-2.00
corn: 1.50, .25, and however much basil costs--mine comes from the garden and I haven't bought it in, like 8 years

4 ears corn
4 Tbsp butter
sprinkle of garlic powder (you can use a minced clove if you like it more garlicky, but I didn't want the garlic to take this over)
1/4 C basil leaves, chopped
salt and pepper

Remove the corn from the ears. I do this by standing my corn up and then using a nice, sharp knife down the side.

Heat butter in a skillet. Add garlic powder. Add corn kernels. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. It will begin to brown and make popping noises (exciting). When it's done, throw in the basil leaves and stir until they wilt. Add salt and pepper.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

2 comments:

  1. What a yummy twist for a side dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really so great. And so quick. One of my side dish pet peeves is when they take 30-40 minutes to make or commandeer my oven or whatever. This is so quick and easy and delish.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...