Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pretty Purple Coleslaw



Where has purple cabbage been all my life? Okay, even the ho hum green just got introduced to me a few years ago. But the purple--it's just so beautiful. I've made several salads with it recently and although none of my children has yet eagerly ventured into eating those salads, they've all been intrigued and some have even swooned ("Mom, it's puuurple") over the way these salads have looked. When you've got picky kids, that's a pretty big step (and a far cry from the usual it-looks-gross response).

After making an incredible and colorful rainbow salad (coming soon), I still had half a head of cabbage left. And then there was Memorial Day and then there was coleslaw. The end. Seriously, though, I was craving some delicious slaw something fierce, and this simple, beautiful little concoction really hit the spot and added a pop of color to our burger and chips meal.

I love it on so many levels: 1) It's pretty, 2) It's pretty healthy (sure there's a dressing, but there's also a purple vegetable), 3) It's easy, 4) It can make a bunch of food quickly and is therefore is really good for potlucks or BBQs, 5) It's cheap, 6) Even though it's easy and cheap, it's really really tasty.

I'd never made regular old coleslaw before (gasp) and had always assumed there was some magic to it. Nope. No magic. Unless you consider mayonnaise magic (I kinda do). It was incredibly simple and can be left that way or dressed up a bit with chunks of apple, sesame seeds, or whatever. I went simple.

Pretty Purple Coleslaw
adapted from Homeschool Encouragement
Makes at least 12 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Rest time: optional, but I do think this is better after it chills for a couple hours
Cost: $2.70 (that's about a quarter a serving)
cabbage: 2.00, carrots: .15, mayo: .40, vinegar: .10, sugar: .05

Veggies:
1 smallish head purple cabbage, chopped
1 C carrots, grated (about 2 carrots)
Note: I made my slaw with just those two ingredients and it was delicious and beautiful. However, if you wanted to dress it up, I think that a cup or so of tart chopped/grated apples and a scoop of sunflower seeds would go really well with it too. I don't think it needs it. In fact, those who love classic slaw would surely prefer it without, but I do think it would be a great way to pimp this coleslaw if that's your thing.

Dressing:
2-3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
3/4 mayonnaise
1/2 tsp salt

Chop your cabbage. I do this by slicing it into rounds and then cutting those rounds up. Shred your carrots. Combine in a large bowl.

Combine dressing ingredients.

Mix dressing into veggies. Let sit at room temp for 20-30 minutes. (This allows the sugar to melt into the dressing, so don't skip this step.)

Chill for an hour or two if you can spare it. Stir again before serving.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

2 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I'm also a fan of purple cabbage. Have you tried it cooked with caraway, cumin or fennel seeds yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Sounds fabulous though. I'll try it soon. Do you stir fry it or roast it.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...