Monday, July 27, 2015

Whole Grain Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


This summer, I've pretty much only posted ice cream related items and desserts. And desserts that would go well with ice cream. I'm trying to feel properly ashamed. But I don't. However, to make it up to you I'm not only posting a dessert that could go well with ice cream, but one that is also wholesome-ish enough to pass for breakfast. (So now I'm officially posting desserts that go with ice cream that I'm encouraging you to eat for the first meal of your day.) But wait...I know it is a bit on the decadent side for breakfast, but let's talk about muffins and pancakes before we go giving this poor little crisp a bad rap. After all, it is full of whole grain and fruit plus some nice healthy fats. And, yes, it has sugar, but not in crazy amounts. So have it for dessert if you consider yourself too righteous for this post, but if you'd like to get your epicurean on, then come on over. You can put a dollop of Greek yogurt on it instead of ice cream. Promise.


I made this because I had rhubarb coming out of my ears from my rhubarb plant, but one of the things I like about this is that it doesn't take much rhubarb, so if you have a young plant you can make this, or if it's a little more expensive to buy, you can still make this. Also, if you have a husband who insists he doesn't like rhubarb, he will still eat this. I also used strawberries I'd frozen and then dethawed, and that worked out just fine.

Also, this is just mixed up in the pan. Yes, you do have to chop your fruits. But once that's done, this is a dump into the pan and bake recipe--no bowl, no stirring with anything more complicated than your fingers (unless you want to be civilized and break out the spoon).

Whole Grain Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Makes 1 8x8 inch pan or 16 pieces
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Cost: $2.10 or about $.15/serving
oats: .15, flour:. 10, sugar: .20, butter: .40, rhubarb (I have honestly no idea--I have NEVER bought it; let's say .50), strawberries: .75

Note: This was really really delicious as is, but if you wanted to add some coconut flakes or chopped almonds to your crumble, I think it'd be pretty darn incredible.

1 C rolled oats (I used a combination of quick and regular--about half and half)
3/4 C plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour (or you can do a combo whole wheat and all purpose; I'd recommend 1/2 C whole wheat and 6 Tbsp all-purpose)
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp butter, melted (or 3 Tbsp coconut oil and 3 Tbsp butter, which is what I did)
1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 C diced rhubarb (I dice mine small)--about 1 1/2 stalks
1 C diced strawberries (also dice them small)

Heat oven to 375. You can line your pan with parchment paper if you want, but once cooled, I think this would come out of a plain greased pan just fine.

Put oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt in the bottom of the baking pan and mix. Pour melted butter over it and stir until clumps form.

Set aside 1/2 C of this mixture. Press the rest of the crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan.

Mix the fruit with the cornstarch and lemon juice. Spread this over the crumb bottom. Then sprinkle on the tablespoon of sugar.

Put remaining crumb mixture on the top.

Bake for 30-40 minutes. (Note: I doubled this and the cook time was quite a bit longer--at least an hour total, possible an hour and 10 minutes, so be aware of that if you double.) The top will be browned golden and the fruit may bubble (though mine didn't).

Let cool in pan. Cut into slices. I like this best cold, but at room temperature and even warm would be delicious too (especially if you just hang the whole breakfast thing and have ice cream thereby).

PRINTABLE RECIPE


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...